Author: Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #1
Publication: May 23, 2013 by Hodder and Stoughton
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Category: Romance, Paranormal, Dystopia
The official print edition of the internet phenomenon. Already over 8,000 five star reader reviews. (And counting.)
It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain.
Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night.
When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:
I've heard nothing but great things about Angelfall. I've also been meaning to get a copy for so long and thankfully, our local book store now carries copies! This book has been recommended to me by my bookish friends and yes, they are absolutely correct about this novel being a very, very good one.
Penryn lives in world dominated by angels. These angels hunt during the day and try to eliminate the human race and cannibal demons hunt during the night for their prey. The world is in chaos and scavenging for food is how Penryn lives. She fends for her crippled little sister and schizophrenic mother. One day while scavenging with her family, she sees an angel being tortured. The angel got his wings torn and Penryn couldn't just sit and watch. In her attempt to rescue the angel, her sister is taken by the attackers. She has to make sure the broken angel would help her to find her little sister. She's ready to do whatever it takes to save her family even if it means killing and being killed.
MAJOR TURN ONS:
* A romance that takes awful amount of time to blossom! A kind of love that grows slowly and tries to see good past the bad. The kind that defies the reasoning and the kind that wields straight in the heart.
* Finally!!! A heroine who does NOT claim the world as her responsibility; that her fight isn't to save it but merely to find her sister and mother. Someone who finally is so sensible she knows what she has to do. A heroine who isn't afraid to admit that being human is still a good thing and that she would fight back FIRST for her family before anything else. I find that absolutely because FINALLY, FINALLY, I met a heroine who isn't trying so hard. #TeamPenrynFTW THANKYOUVERYMUCH.
* After Katniss, Katsa and Celaena, let us all welcome a 5 foot 2 Peryn who fought with a guy twice her size! So much for being a kickass heroine! This is what am talking about people! A heroine who knows her capacity and limits! The one who wouldn't put off a fight just because she's a girl! Peryn is a perfect example on how to stop bullies from doing what they are born to do -- ruin others lives -- and how to fend for herself! Plus, she definitely gave empowerment to women! That was really a nasty fight but she won and she wasn't even afraid!
* What happened to Paige was just so damn scary but it matched the dark and cruel theme of the story.
* World building was fantastic. From page one up until the last, there's just non-stop goosebumps! The world they live in is just so dark and scary and so apocalyptic.
* RAFFE. RAFFE. RAFFE.
MINOR TURN OFF:
* It would have been nice to see more of the origin of the war against the angels. Or why are they even here. How the world shattered like that.
Angelfall is a stunning novel I had a hard time letting go. The dark and mysterious world with delicious characters made me hold on to the story deeper than I've been meaning to. A perfect plot for such admirable heroine partnered with a stirring saviour is all in all a delectable read! I cannot wait to savor World After page by page!
"I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man."
"We have struck back. We have declared war on any being that dares to think they can wipe us out without a fight. No matter how celestial, no matter how powerful they are, this is our home and we will fight to keep it."
"And my instincts tell me that Raffe is mine. I found him first."